How to Apply Thermal Paste to A CPU
Ever wonder how to apply thermal paste to a cpu?
Here’s your answer!
To Apply thermal paste to a cpu, here is what you need:
- Thermal Paste – don’t have some? See our article on how to make your own!
- A CPU
- Isopropyl Alcohol
- A heatsink to mount on top of the CPU
- A fan can’t hurt either
Here’s how you do it
- CPUs are designed to have most of the head concentrated in the center of the metal plate that you see. The sides of the CPU are there to redirect excess heat and also allow for mores surface area contact with the heatsink for the most efficient heat transfer
- Be sure to clean off old thermal compound or other debris with isopropyl alcohol. You can use a cotton ball for this. Just dab the cotton ball with the alcohol and rub it around on both the CPU and heatsink
- Make sure the processor is properly seated in its slot.
- Take the thermal compound and make a quarter inch x in the middle of the processor
- Put the heatsink over the processor, making sure you have properly inserted the heatsinks with the proper securing mechanisms in place.
- Secure the heatsink to the CPU
- Put the fan over the CPU.
- Plug the fan power connector into the motherboard’s pin headers for the fan.
- Wait an hour for the compound to set.
- After the hour has passed, use your computer and have fun!